Both hemp and marijuana come from the same cannabis species.
But are genetically distinct and are further distinguished by:
- Chemical makeup
- Cultivation methods
- THC content
- Legal Status
- Marijuana’s high THC content is primarily in the flowering tops.
- THC levels for marijuana are much higher than for hemp.
- Reported to average about 10%.
- Some sample tests indicate THC levels reaching 20%-30%, or greater.
- A level of about 1% THC is considered the threshold for cannabis to have a psychotropic effect or an intoxicating potential.
- Current laws regulating hemp cultivation in the European Union (EU) and Canada use 0.3% THC.
- Cultivars having less than 0.3% THC can be cultivated under license.